Build and manage your own team with BYOT. Captains get the control they’re looking for, from managing their roster to creating the best jerseys on the ice, all while not having to worry about administration such as team payments. For the work they do, captains also get a high-end composite customized hockey stick each season… the lightest and most durable on the market! Teams get the same or consistent locations (no more than two, both of which are within a few miles of each other), no super late game times, appropriate leveling, a positive playing environment, and more.
Locations & Leagues
We value level parity and, as such, leagues at upcoming locations are only launched when we have the right amount of teams at the right levels.
BOSTON – BRIGHTON
Warrior Ice Arena
- Lower Intermediate (Level 3-4)
- Intermediate (Level 4-6)
- Upper Intermediate (Level 6-7)
- Advanced (Level 7-9)
- Corporate Lower (Level 2-5) – coming Winter 2020
- Corporate Upper (Level 5-9) – coming Winter 2020
- Lower Intermediate (Level 3-4) – coming Fall/Winter 2020
- Intermediate (Level 4-6)
- Upper Intermediate (Level 6-7) – coming Fall/Winter 2020
- Advanced (Level 7-9) – coming Fall/Winter 2020
SOUTH OF BOSTON
Coming Late Summer 2020
GREATER BOSTON NORTHWEST
Coming Fall / Winter 2020
Our BYOT leagues are available year-round. Captains of current teams are given the first right of refusal for any subsequent season, guaranteeing their spot if they elect to continue. This will be offered at or about the 3/4 point of the season.
All teams are required to have uniquely numbered team jerseys. We offer discounted, fully customizable jerseys for all of our BYOT teams.
There will be single elimination playoffs at the end of each season, with the top 4 teams making the playoffs. Any team that does not make the playoffs or are eliminated will still play their full amount of games stated in the season as regular games. Any playoff or final game ending in a tie will go to a shootout with 3 players from each team initially shooting and one from each team shooting per round thereafter. All skaters from each team must be used in a shootout before recycling players.
All games have three periods of 15 minutes (in the case of a 50 minute hour) or 17 minutes (in the case of a 60 minute hour) of running time. The last minute of the game is stopped time if the score is within one goal. No team timeouts are permitted.
Schedule, Standings & Stats
Whenever possible, the schedule for the season will be posted before your league begins. Facility confirmation of hours may prevent this.
Officiating & Game Administration
Two on ice officials and one scorekeeper are guaranteed.
In the following rare cases, we provide compensation if the scheduled staff does not appear for any reason:
- If one of a game’s referees does not appear as scheduled, each team will be credited $50 on their teams account
- If both of a game’s referees do not appear as scheduled, the game will not be played. Each team is to use one end of the ice as practice ice and a makeup game is to be provided.
- If a game’s scorekeeper does not appear as scheduled, each team will be credited $20 on their team’s account.
Rules & Policies
Please review the complete set of rules and policies that apply to BYOT Leagues.
Any player who is disqualified for any reason is not eligible to receive a refund and remains responsible for payment in full of any balance owed. In the event of non-payment, the team members, jointly and severally, are responsible for the balance of the disqualified player unless/until it can be collected from the individual.
Important info for those playing in Andover at Phillips Academy – Phillips Academy has a strict, zero tolerance, policy on alcohol possession/consumption on their property. If anyone on your team were to be found in violation of their alcohol policy then the entire team would not allowed to return and, as such the entire team would lose the ability to play there without an option for a refund.
Highlights of BYOT
- Reasonable hours – Say goodbye to those west coast start times – NEVER a crazy late game.
- Predictable locations – What’s the sense in sending you all over the map? If you sign up to play in an area, you’ll play in that area.
- The best rinks – Good ice surfaces in the most convenient locations. BYOT leagues are available at premium locations such as Warrior Ice Arena (Bruins Practice Facility), Agganis Arena (BU Men’s Hockey Facility), and Phillips Academy.
- Never skip a week – You’re out there for the enjoyment of the game and for the workout so why skip a week? Play every week, even if your team doesn’t progress in the playoffs.
- Specific leveling – With individual player qualification requirements.
- “No Jerks” – We look to attract the right players. Like-minded captains and our Player Conduct Policy help to ensure they stay on the good side.
- No surprise players – Controlled and enforced roster eligibility ensures that ringers don’t come and go
- League Assistance – Full service help when you need a goalie or more skaters
- Get extra games for free – Play for free when invited to play for another team in need of players.
- Payment plans – Payment plans available for all players to split up payments over the course of the season.
- Online schedule and standings – get your entire schedule at the beginning of the season, whenever possible.
- A local league that cares – visit us at our Boston office or call our full time staff anytime
- Discounted team wear – Exclusive pricing and no order minimums on fully customizable jerseys and socks.
- SSH Full Time Player benefits – All paying players qualify for SSH Full Time Player benefits.
- Free hockey stick – Captains receive one customized high-end composite hockey stick at no cost each season – the lightest and most durable on the market.
We work closely with captains to ensure that the teams are being formed in an equitable way that will ensure balance, which is a vital part of the StinkySocks Hockey experience. Please call the league office to discuss leveling. Please note exclusion exceptions may be made on a case by case basis, usually if the experience that would exclude them is a significant amount of time in the past.
Level 2-3 (True Novice)
The true novice level is geared to those who are within their first 3 years of hockey experience, based on someone in their 30’s. It may also be appropriate for older players who started playing as an adult regardless of years of experience.
Level 3-4 (Lower Intermediate)
This level is geared towards those who began their hockey experience as an adult and excludes anyone who has had high school experience.
Level 4-6 (Intermediate)
All players in the intermediate range are eligible at this level. This level is most appropriate for those who have had high school level experience. It excludes anyone who has had any organized college experience (club or other).
Level 6-7 (Upper Intermediate)
Young players with high school experience and older players with college club experience, or the equivalent, are eligible at this level. It excludes anyone under the age of 30 who has had NCAA divisional experience.
Level 7-9 (Advanced)
This level is most appropriate for those who have had NCAA divisional experience, younger players with college club experience, or the equivalent. It excludes anyone under the age of 30 who has had D1 experience.
Level 10 (Expert)
This is an open level that is suitable for those who have had D1 collegiate experience, professional experience, or the equivalent.
Each team may roster up to 20 skaters and an unlimited amount of goalies for their team, unless otherwise noted. A maximum of 15 skaters and 2 goalies may dress for any one game.
All players must be registered and confirmed by the league office to be on the team’s active roster in order to be eligible to play. Teams are not be allowed to bring in a player who is not registered and confirmed to be on their roster under any circumstance. Doing so would have the game considered a forfeit, with forfeit rules applied.
To be eligible to play in any game, players must meet the following criteria:
- Be registered and confirmed on their team’s roster
- Have a waiver e-signed
- Be wearing a jersey matching the primary color of their team’s jerseys, and also have a unique number permanently affixed the back (e.g. numbers cannot be made of hockey tape and no two players can have the same number in a game).
- Be a player in good standing, meaning the player is current on their dues and is not otherwise ineligible to participate in a StinkySocks Hockey game (admin hold, conduct case, etc)
- Be prepared to provide an ID or display their BYOT league helmet sticker at attendance
- Paying Players – Full time players are players who are committed to your team for the season. By default, full time skaters share equally the cost of your team. Full time players are granted Full Time player benefits with StinkySocks Hockey while their league is active.
- Non-Paying Goalie – Teams may decide if their goalie(s) pay or not. Those not paying are considered to be in this category. Teams are not limited on the number of goalies on their roster and there is no charge for adding a goalie at any time.
- Non-Paying Alternate Skater – Alternate skaters are charged only a $20 registration fee but do not contribute towards the team’s dues. Alternate skaters may participate in regular season games, and can participate in playoff games as long as they have played at least three prior regular season games in the current season.
Players may only register online with the unique team link that is provided by their captain. All players registered by the team’s registration deadline, as indicated on the team’s registration page, are eligible for the first game and will be on the roster provided to their captain at the season’s start.
Mid-Season Player Registration Process and Timelines
All players that come in after the team’s stated registration deadline are considered to be mid-season registrations. Mid-season registrations are manually processed, require a $20 late registration payment. Both the team captain and the player being added will receive a confirmation once they have been added to the team’s roster and the player being added is eligible only after that time. To be clear, skaters cannot be added on the same day as the game in which they wish to start.
Below are the timelines for mid-season registrations:
Any full time (paying) skaters or alternate (non-paying) skaters returning from a prior season on the same team must be added by noon on the business day prior to the game in which they wish to start to guarantee that they will be rostered. For weekend or Monday games, that translates to Fridays at 12PM.
New alternates (non-paying skaters) must be added five (5) days prior to the game in which they wish to start.
Goalies are the only players who are eligible immediately after submitting their registration online and e-signing their waiver. They do not require further confirmation, the captain simply has to notify the league office of their goalie’s registration.
Last Minute Player Needs
If you fall short for any one game, we can help. However, teams are not be allowed to bring in a player who is not on their roster under any circumstance. Doing so will subject the team to that game and one other being recorded as a loss.
- Goalies – If you are unable to secure your own goalie, please notify the league office as early as possible. Requests within 24 hours are difficult to fulfill. As such, please be sure to reconfirm your goalie and request a replacement, if needed, at least one business day prior to your game to increase the odds of one being able to be placed. Each team is provided four (4) complimentary goalie placements per season. Any placements beyond that are subject to a $20 fee for successful placement and must be paid at the time of the request.
- Skaters – If you need additional players for any one regular season game they may be sourced by the SSH league office from other teams in the same league. If the teams opts for this then you can take up to 3 skaters without the game resulting in a forfeit. However, accepting any players from another team for a playoff game will result in a forfeit.
Below is a timeline summary of what to expect as you get started with BYOT.
- Register your team with a $100 deposit, fully refundable until your team is placed, to secure your team’s spot in your desired location/division.
- Within 2 business days of registration (or when your league’s details are finalized) – The captain will be emailed a unique link to provide their players in order to register for the team’s roster.
Before Your Team's First Game
Players register with a $100 deposit as paying players, who share in the team’s cost, or with a $20 registration fee for those who will be non-paying alternates.
The full season schedule is posted. If any dates/times are pending with the rink those games will be posted as soon as we have scheduling commitments.
Day of First Game
The team’s payment is split between the amount of payment players. Each paying player’s amount due is that amount minus their $100 deposit and they can elect to pay in full or spread the balance over the course of the season on a payment plan.
Before Team's Second Game
All paying players must pay their individual balance in full or elect a payment plan.
New paying players can be added, or converted from alternate status, with their cost being prorated. Players joining late incur a $20 registration fee. The complete amount of their payment is credited towards the team’s account.
Any paying player whose payment plan payment cannot be collected after 14 days has that payment returned to team responsibility. That amount is debited from the team’s account and, in the case of a negative team balance, must be paid before the team’s next game.
One Month Before Season End
Teams are given the first right to renewal for the next season, restarting this timeline for the next season.
Positive team balances are refunded to the captain or can be put towards the next season’s cost.
Get Started with StinkySocks Hockey!
Start a Conversation
Think you’re a good fit but have questions? We think a conversation sets the path for a smooth transition for new teams.Send a Message
Register Your Team
Register your team with a $100 refundable deposit and we’ll get things rolling to place your team in an active or upcoming league.Register Your Team
List as a Free Agent
Looking to join a team in a BYOT league? Join as a free agent and we will find a team for you.Sign Up Now