Rules of The Game
NCAA ice hockey rules will be enforced, with the following modifications, unless otherwise noted for a particular game, league, or tournament.
Please note that the policies are not applicable to BYOT Leagues and tournaments are: Equitable Ice Time Policy, Attendance Policy (skater/goalie), and Standby Policy
- No checking
- One strike rule on fighting: any involvement in a fight on or off the ice will result in a permanent lifetime ban from any and all StinkySocks hockey games, tournaments, leagues, etc.
- Blue line icing will be enforced
ROSTER ALLOWANCE MODIFICATION
- Open League and NCH games are limited to (10) players plus (1) goalie to ensure that you’re spending more time on the ice and less time on the bench.
- BYOT League teams may roster up to 17 players and dress up to 15 skaters and 1 goalie for any one game. Up to 4 of the rostered players may be designated as alternates, with the remainder being full time players.
- YGS League team rosters are limited to 15 players.
- Tournament teams are generally limited to (13) players plus (2) goalies dressing for any one game. Depending on the tournament, more players may be rostered (please refer to the specific tournament details for more info).
To maximize playing time, StinkySocks Hockey games will be played in (2) halves, with a 5-minute warm-up and a 1-minute break in between halves. When games are full, and in the discretion of the official, one continuous game may be played.
MODIFICATION FOR NOVICE (D) LEVEL GAMES ONLY
No slapshots. For this purpose, a slapshot is defined as lifting your stick at above thigh before making contact with the puck on a shot.
When offered, all playoffs are single elimination. In leagues, teams that are eliminated are then scheduled to play “regular” game for the remaining weeks/games that have no bearing on the playoffs. In tournaments, eliminated teams are eliminated from the finals altogether. Any playoff game that results in a tie after regulation time will result in a NHL-style shootout. Each team will be given three shots, unless the outcome is determined earlier in the shootout. After each team has taken three shots, if the score remains tied, the shootout will proceed to a “sudden death” format. A player may not be chosen to shoot again until everyone all other players on their team have shot.
All players are required to have the proper protective equipment that is designed for ice hockey, fits properly, and maintains the manufacture’s intended integrity. To clarify, the following equipment is required for participation:
- Helmet that is HECC-approved and has throat straps securely fastened (no more than two fingers of room between the throat strap and the chin). Goalies must have a proper face cage/shield.
- Shin pads (skaters) or leg pads (goalies)
- Elbow pads
- Padded pants or girdle
- Chest protector (goalies)
- Protective cup (men) or pelvic protector (women)
The following are optional (except for goalies and at the skater’s own risk). They are, however, strongly encouraged for your safety.
- Shoulder pads
- Face shield/cage (skaters)
- Mouth guard
Conduct ("No Jerk") Policy
All players are subject to the player conduct policy, as interpreted by StinkySocks Hockey. Players are accountable for their own actions regardless of the actions of another individual. Players are expected to conduct themselves with good sportsmanship. Chippy play, disrespectful verbal engagement, or contributing to the escalation of an incident, intentional physical contact with another player and any other disrespectful conduct is strictly prohibited by the “No Jerk” policy. StinkySocks promotes a clean game, a enjoyable playing environment and any actions that are contrary to that are considered a violation of the “No Jerk” policy. Any conduct that is considered to be unbecoming of a StinkySocks Hockey player, in violation of the terms and conditions of purchase, and/or contrary to the league’s mission will subject the offending player to disciplinary action, as deemed necessary by the league. Upon any offense, StinkySocks Hockey may, at its discretion, take disciplinary action against the offending player in the form of a warning or other penalty up to and including permanent ineligibility to participate in any StinkySocks Hockey games, leagues and tournaments. Subsequent offenses will result in more stringent disciplinary action varying from suspension of play, up to and including permanent ineligibility to participate in any StinkySocks Hockey games, leagues and tournaments.
One strike rule on fighting: any involvement in a fight on or off the ice, challenge to a fight, or the threat of physical harm will result in a permanent lifetime ban from any and all StinkySocks Hockey games and events.
Players who are ineligible to participate in a scheduled game or event due to disciplinary action taken by the league will not be entitled to any refunds. All decisions made by StinkySocks Hockey are final.
If you’ve identified an issue is any game that you’ve played in, we ask that you communicate your concern to the league office. Player conduct reporting helps us to maintain the quality of our games.
Equitable Ice Time Policy
As a general rule, players should take shifts of approximately two minutes. Any player who is found to be deliberately taking lengthy shifts will be subject the player conduct policy.
Appropriate Level Policy
Players are asked to display honesty by selecting games and leagues that are appropriate for their ability level.
- NCH Games – Any player who accidentally finds themselves at a game that is clearly above/below their ability level has the option to leave the game right away and receive a credit for another game that is of their ability level. If they are above the level and choose to stay and play, they are required to bring their play down to the average player in that game and not be a game-changing factor. As a part of that, they are asked to not shoot or rush the puck. Players who do not self-identify their level discrepancy and adjust as required or are clearly outside of the level designation may be asked by the official or a member of the StinkySocks Hockey staff leave the game. Any player who is asked to leave the game is not eligible for a refund or any other compensation. Players in violation of this policy may also be subject to the player conduct policy.
- Open Leagues – Any player who is identified as being ineligible for a particular level that they are already registered for as a full-time league player will be asked to move to another league that is appropriate to their level.
- BYOT Leagues – All players on a team must individually qualify for the level at which their team has entered. The league does not screen players in advance, as there’s an expectation that captains build their teams in a manner that’s fair and consistent with leveling guidelines. As a system of checks and balances, captains from opposing teams may challenge the level eligibility of any opposing team, provided that’s done during the regular season. Based upon staff observations and the feedback of other captains, the league will then issue a determination of the player’s eligibility.
- Tournaments – Refer to tournament rules
If you have a concern that a player may not be appropriate for the level at which they’re playing, we kindly ask that you report it to the league office to help us ensure the quality and consistency of your experience.
Skater Attendance and "No Show" Policy
Applies to Open League and NCH Games
A player who misses a scheduled game without notifying the league office will be subject to a warning upon their first offense within a rolling one year time period. Upon a second offense in any rolling one year period, any membership benefit entitlements will be forfeited. Any third or subsequent offense in a rolling one year period will result in a $5 charge per no-show.
Per the Terms of Purchase, registrations are non-transferable and non-refundable. Players may not, under any circumstances, send another player to a game in their place. Full time players, when canceling a game, may allocate their spot to another player as long as that player registers and pays within the time allotted for that specific game. Any player found sending an unpaid player will be subject to an automatic 6 month ineligibility period. Furthermore, any player who knowingly plays in a game for which they are not registered or who provides false information regarding their identity is subject to the Theft of Service policy.
Goalie Attendance and "No Show" Policy
Applies to Open League and NCH Games
Goalies are an essential part of the quality game that StinkySocks Hockey delivers to its players. Once you sign up for a goalie spot you are committing to be there. If you need to cancel for any reason then we ask you to do so as far in advance as possible. With the right amount of notice we can almost always fill your spot. If you cannot make a scheduled game, we ask that you contact the StinkySocks Hockey league office by phone or a submission on our website.
With the help of our goalies, we have developed a no show policy that we think is fair and still maintains our quality objectives. A “no show” is defined as not providing notice of a cancellation within the guidelines stated below:
- For game times that are at or before 12PM (noon) – Provide notice by 4PM the day prior
- For a game beginning after 12PM and before 5PM – Provide notice by 8PM the day prior
- For a game beginning at or after 5PM and before 8PM – Provide notice by 10AM
- For a game beginning at of after 8PM – Provide notice by 3PM
Goalies who are a “no show” for a game, as defined above, are subject to a $50 fee. Upon a subsequent “no show”, the offending goalie is subject to a $100 fee and may be subject to ineligibility for a period of one year, as determined by the league.
Full-time league goalies who call out for more than 20% of their scheduled games in their league’s season may be subject to forfeiting their spot for that season and/or their renewal privileges.
Theft of Service Policy
Intentionally participating in any game or event without registering and paying is considered theft of service. Any player who is found to have participated in a game without having paid or having been authorized by an employee or representative of StinkySocks Hockey is in violation of this policy. Players found to be in violation of this policy will be required to pay a $100 fee in addition to the fees for the game or event in which they have participated, and will be issued a conduct warning.
Our uniquely numbered jerseys facilitate fast administration process through easy identification.
Who’s required to wear a SSH jersey
To be eligible to receive any relevant membership benefits, players are required to own/wear a StinkySocks Hockey Reversible Jersey, StinkySocks Hockey Single Sided Jersey Pair, or have their own set of jerseys certified by the league. If a player fails to wear their SSH jersey for any game where a discount is applied (e.g. the upfront discount for an Open League registration, or a single game discount) the difference between the regular cost of the game and the discounted cost paid will be charged.
Who’s required to own a jersey
Full-time league players are required to own a jersey to qualify for their status benefits overall, including the upfront discounted cost of the league. If a full-time player does not own a qualifying jersey, any status benefits will not be applied to their account. To remain on the league’s roster, they must also pay the difference between the upfront discounted rate (the cost paid for the league up front) and the regular price of the season’s games.
No Commitment Hockey players, who are paying full price and not eligible for any additional benefits (full time, veteran, or Unlimited members), are not required to own/wear a StinkySocks Hockey jersey at this time. However, any NCH player who does not own a StinkySocks Hockey jersey is required to have both a dark and white jersey available for their game. Grey or red jerseys may not be used.
Sharing/Loaning Jerseys Is Not Permitted
StinkySocks Hockey jerseys are each uniquely numbered and all information about you as a player is reported using that number, such as attendance, conduct, and leveling. Do to their use as positive identification, players may not share or loan their jersey for use in a StinkySocks Hockey game. Any conduct violation committed by another player while they are in possession of your jersey will be considered a violation committed by you.
Players are required to fully identify themselves to any representative of StinkySocks Hockey when asked. Providing any false or misleading information will result in permanent ineligibility to participate in any StinkySocks Hockey games, leagues, and tournaments.
Players must be at least 21-years of age to participate in any StinkySocks Hockey event, unless otherwise noted. Certain exceptions may apply. Players who are under the required age are encouraged to call the league office to inquire about their eligibility.
Waiver of Liability Requirement
All players must read and sign a waiver of liability prior to participating in any game or related event offered through StinkySocks Hockey. Individuals may not participate in any hockey league game, tournament or skills without having signed a waiver. Waivers are only available in electronic form and are not available at games. Any player without a waiver e-signed prior to arriving at a scheduled game will not be allowed to participate.
Game Standby Policy
Getting On the Ice
In order to be eligible to standby for a game, players are required to be wearing a StinkySocks Hockey jersey, unless they were a skater who can be positively identified because they were on the roster in an adjacent (back to back) game.
Skaters wishing to stand by must alert the staff member (ref or scorekeeper) of their intent to play as a standby player for that game. If there is an open spot on the roster then they will be cleared to play right away. If the game is sold out and there are skater no-shows, standby skaters will be cleared for play in the order in which they requested to standby. The standby player may participate in the game if cleared by the StinkySocks Hockey staff member. However, if a rostered player arrives late then the standby player must exit the game and will not be charged, as StinkySocks Hockey does not allow more than 10 skaters on a team.
Paying After Participation
After participating in a game as a standby player, the player must pay the associated game fee by midnight that night. Any payment made after that time is subject to a late fee of $5 and pricing defaults to the full retail pricing of the game. Failure to acknowledge a collections email or call will subject the offending player to the Theft of Service Policy.
The standby cost for any location is as follows:
- No Commitment Hockey level members wearing SSH jersey – $20
- Veteran level members wearing SSH jersey – $15
- Full Time level members wearing SSH jersey – $10
- Unlimited Membership holders wearing SSH jersey – FREE
- All others – full retail cost of the game
StinkySocks Hockey is committed to keeping your information private and makes every reasonable attempt to do so. We will never share or sell your information. Furthermore, we will not release your information to anyone without your consent. However, any player who is found to be in violation of our rules and policies waives their right to privacy.